Thursday, September 22, 2011

Owl Always Love You

I just recently found the Cardabilities blog challenge site and decided to make my daughters cards to send with care packages. They are both away at college. I want to send them owl cookies, so I thought an owl card would be perfect. An owl cookie is a delicious chocolate, peanut butter, oatmeal cookie in the shape of an owl's head. I love Jillibean Soup's corregated owl shapes! The paper is Jillibean  Apple Cheddar Soup paper. I might have to try making apple cheddar soup too. It sounds interesting. Anyway, I was going for a forest through the trees look. Here is my card.
and the sketch ...
Now I need to make a second card. I hope you like what you saw! Here is the cookie recipe.

Owl Cookies

Peanut butter cookie inside
Chocolate cookie outside

2/3 c shortening
2/3 c shortening
Chocolate chips
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup brown sugar
Nuts (pecans or cashews)
1 egg
1 egg

1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp vanilla

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup peanut butter

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup oatmeal

1 1/3 cup flour
1 1/3 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt
½ tsp salt


2 oz melted bitter chocolate


¼ cup cocoa (optional)


Use 2 separate bowls to prepare the peanut butter inside and the chocolate outside at the same time. Beat shortening and sugar until creamy. Add egg, vanilla, and peanut butter. Mix well. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and add to creamy mixture. Stir in oats. Add melted chocolate and cocoa to the chocolate batter bowl.
Divide each bowl of dough in half. Shape the peanut butter dough into 8” long rolls.
Roll the chocolate dough 8” long and wide enough to wrap around the peanut butter logs.
Cut into slices. Pinch 2 tips to shape the ears. Decorate with chocolate chips for eyes and a nut for the nose.
Bake 350 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you think!