Saturday, November 24, 2012

Once Upon a Christmas - Day 9 - Little Yellow Bicycle

Hello Little Yellow Bicycle fans!!!! I finally get to share my projects today for Day 9 of the 12 Days of Christmas with the Once Upon the Christmas cycling team. Did you know that the lyrics for this Christmas carol have several variations. The traditional version is 9 drummers drumming, 10 pipers piping, 11 ladies dancing, and 12 lords a leaping. But the more modern version has switched these around to be 9 ladies dancing, 10 lords a leaping, 11 pipers piping, and 12 drummers drumming. Well, since I am day 9 I decided to use the traditional version. I give you 9 drummers drumming (ok, there are more than 9 drummers, but hey there are some pipers piping too!)
 When I first saw this collection, my first thought was "that paper is perfect for Trenton's marching band pictures!" Trenton made snare 7 for the North Dakota State University Gold Star Marching Band this past August (an incredible feat for a first year student!). I am so proud of him. He worked so hard to make this dream come true. He constantly taps out rhythms, when he watches TV, when he does homework, etc ...
I love the music notes throughout this collection. I added some yellow cardstock to get the school colors and some black cardstock to highlight the photos, but otherwise this paper is all from the Once Upon a Christmas collection. Here are a few more pics...
I traced a jpeg image in my Sure Cuts A Lot software program to make a star that mimiced the emblem on the band uniforms. I tucked a journal card behind the photo.
Once Upon a Christmas Products:
Mistletoe Stripe / Green Starlight (OC-105)
Holly Bird / Brown Carols (OC-107)
Vintage Santa / Brown Houndstooth (OC-108)
Holly Berry / Green Carols (OC-111)

Ok, I had to do a traditional Christmas layout too with this elegant collection. I decided to go shabby and use my punches to create a lace effect.
This is one of my favorite Christmas pictures of my daughter Colette. She wanted an American Girl doll so bad and when she opened up that package, the joy and delight on her face is just priceless! There are so many fabulous embellishments that go along with all of LYB's collections. Some of my favorites are the journal cards, the clear cuts, and the flower kits. I love flowers on my layouts and the paper flower kits make it fast and easy. If you can't stand your own handwriting (like me), try running the journal card through the printer taped to a piece of printer paper.
Once Upon a Christmas Products:
Vintage Bands / Red Starlight (OC-101)
Let it Snow / Green Medallion (OC-104)
Holly Berry / Green Carols (OC-111)
Christmas Greetings / Cream Damask (OC-112)
Paper Crafting Kit (OC-305)
Journaling Cards (OC-134)
Cardstock Stickers (OC-135)
Chipboard Shapes (OC-279)
Clear Cuts (OC-230)
Fabric Favorites (OC-222)

I wanted to make some gifts too. Here is a simple idea for using those vellum tapes and clear cut shapes. I picked up this candle holder and candle at the Dollar Store. Add a little bling and its complete and you've got yourself a simple and elegant gift.
Once Upon a Christmas Products:
Clear Cuts (OC-230)
Vellum Tape Strips (OC-160)

So, now that you have a gift, you need a bag to put it in (yes, I fussy cut the Santa out!!!)  ...
I love the houndtooth patterns in this collection. Very trendy right now. The journal cards work great here too, doubling as a gift tag!

Once Upon a Christmas Products:
Snowflake Medallion / Red Houndstooth (OC-106)
Vintage Santa / Brown Houndstooth (OC-108)
Snowflake Plaid / Cream Houndstooth (OC-109)
Journaling Cards (OC-134)
Clear Cuts (OC-230)
Fabric Favorites (OC-222)

Of course you will need a card too ...  The journaling cards work great on cards too as does the chipboard shapes! I just had to make a poinsettia with the Red Tonal Damask paper. It was just begging me to become a flower!
Here's another picture to show you the dimension this flower adds.

Once Upon a Christmas Products:
Hanging Wreaths / Red Tonal Damask (OC-103)
Let it Snow / Green Medallion (OC-104)
Mistletoe Stripe / Green Starlight (OC-105)
Snowflake Plaid / Cream Houndstooth (OC-109)
Merry Christmas Damask / Red Damask (OC -110)
Journaling Cards (OC-134) Chipboard Shapes (OC-279)

And finally, Its not the 12 Days of Christmas without ending with a Partridge in a Pear (Pine) tree ...
I am thrilled with how this ornament turned out!


I created a 3D ornament with the elegant red damask paper, turned it on its side, to create my bird body. The head I drew freehand and then cut it out from the white portion of this same sheet of paper. Some jewels were added for my eyes, and a feather boa complete the tail and wing feather.
My cat was also thrilled with how lifelike this bird looked. He pounced on it and tried to eat the feathers. I have had to keep it hidden from him.  Better to give this ornament away as a gift than try to hang it on my Christmas tree I think.

Once Upon a Christmas Products:
Merry Christmas Damask / Red Damask (OC -110)

Thank you Little Yellow Bicycle for letting me ride with you once again!!! I had a fabulous time playing with the Once Upon a Christmas collection.

I am linking up my Holiday projects at Paper Issues.

I hope I have inspired you to pick up this collection and make some projects for yourself! I would be thrilled if you would visit the LYB blog and leave a comment there on my post. Thank you my friends!!
~Marcia

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marcia! I love all your pretty Christmas projects.So much fun! I just wanted to let you know that your 'Joy' layout will be featured on the Paper Issues blog this morning! Congrats! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow wonderful variety of projects with this collection! Love how you also made a non-Christmas layout with it. It fits the marching band theme perfectly too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you think!