Monday, May 30, 2016

Honor - JustNick Studios and Simple Stories

Happy Memorial Day blogging friends ... well at least if you are in the USA.

I am posting a patriotic layout using the new JustNick Studios Bits and Pieces Star background cut file. You are getting a sneak peek today ... This file is hitting the JustNick store on Friday ... so please check back then. I was a little too enthusiastic to use it on a Memorial Day layout.

This layout features my husband. He is a former Marine and now volunteers his time with fellow police officers from the Minneapolis St Paul Airport Police Department on their Honor Guard. They attend funerals of police officers around the state, but they also volunteer to stand guard over our fallen soldiers coming back from overseas to their final resting place.



Instead of backing each of those tiny squares with different pattern papers, I opted to selectively fill portions of the negative space to mimic our American flag ... with the colors reversed as that is what I had for patriotic pattern paper. I used the Simple Stories Hero Collection Simple Set with a few embellishments thrown in from other collections. Then I added some stars with modeling paste painted with acrylic paint.





I love the overall look. I didn't want to ruin the star focus, so my journaling was done around the edge of the die cuts.



Here is the cut file I used today. Stop back on June 4th to purchase from the store.



Thanks for stopping by today! Stop by the JustNick store to check out all the awesome digital cut files.

~Marcia

2 comments:

I love hearing what you think!